Tuesday 11 October 2016

The London List


I have friends and relatives in the London area, and when I go to see them we usually find sightseeing things to do during the day and bars and clubs to visit at night. I've written out a 'hit list' of places I'd like to check out in the capital. It'd take a few trips to tick them all off.

Shoreditch

I gather there are a few trendy bas around here, and if you know me or this blog, I'm a sucker for them. Time Out suggests that the trendsetters have moved on, but I'm admittedly intrigued by the cereal restaurant.

Camden

Again, more bars... and the fabled markets. Gotta be seen eventually. 

Notting Hill

I'd basically be doing my usual celebrity stalking if I found myself in Notting Hill, as it's apparently a place you're likely to see a familiar face. Also to spot: the famous door from the Eponymously-titled movie.

Notting Hill Carnival

I'd like to make two visits to Notting Hill: one when the Caribbean Carnival is taking place, one when it's not. The Carnival takes place every August Bank Holiday. Expect themed costumes, steel bands and food stalls.

Chinawhite

Chinawhite, London’s premier luxury nightclub and international nightlife brand, has long been considered the centre of the capitals exclusive club scene.” Or so the club says. I believe it, looking at the pictures. I'd always hear it was the place to see celebs.

The Natural History Museum

The diplodocus skeleton, giant squid, reindeer eyes that change colour with the season... The Natural History Museum has some bizarre contemporary and prehistoric finds hidden in its atriums. There was a rumour that a lot of its exhibits were casts of bones and not actual artefacts: the museum's Twitter disproves that. I'm intrigued.

Highgate Cemetery

The resting place for hundreds of notable people, including Hitchhiker's Guide author Douglas Adams, philosopher Karl Marx, murdered spy Alexander Litvinenko and TV presenter Jeremy Beadle.

A Book Signing

Okay, not a specific one. But if you look at Waterstones' events site, there are numerous London venues and a horde of events organised by the bookshop brand all year round, many featuring big names. I might head down specifically for a book signing soon.

Sky Garden

At the top of the so-called “walky-talky building”- 20 Fenchurch St- is a botanical-themed restaurant boasting views from its 155-metre vantage point.

Tower Bridge Glass Floor

London's most iconic building now has a glass floor across its 11-metre-long podium,42 metres above The Thames. I might crap myself slightly, but it's a London must-do.

Hard Rock Cafe

A cross between a restaurant and a museum, the Hard Rock Cafe brand is certainly an eye-opener. The Manchester branch has incredible outfits and guitars from the likes of Hendrix and Clapton- London's trove must be better still.

Soho

Although SoHo is mostly known for it's sex shops and gay nightlife, the south-of Houston neighbourhood – I have it on good confidence- is home to some of the city's best bars. But hey, each to their own and all that.

Corsica Studios

I believe this is a place for good house music nights. That said, from its Twitter it does look like a concert hall for live music.

London Film Museum

Currently LFM is holding a James Bond exhibition featuring the largest official collection of original James Bond vehicles in the World. Take me there!

Egg

Huge house and techno club that I believe is full to the brim at the weekend- partly because Fabric has (temporarily?) shut, and partly because my mate Simply Fred DJs there.

Phonox

As far as I know, it's a similar kind of club playing similar kinds of music- and I'm only hearing good things, so on the list Phonox shall go!

Gherkin Restaurant

I'm kidding myself. I cannot afford to eat in the Gherkin's skyscraper restaurant. I'd just like to see the view please, thank you BYE.

Madame Tussauds

Top-notch waxwork figures. The sculptures of well-known celebrities look amazingly-lifelike. This just in:


Secret London

This is a guide book published by Jonglez which lists some of the attractions that don't get a great deal of publicity- the quirky museums, the public buildings and the strange architectural structures. Most of these are free; some come with a nominal fee. As a former movie nut I'm particulary keen to check out The Cinema Museum in Kennington. The book is laid out into sectors of the city, so all the attractions listed are near to each other. Hence, no matter what part of London you land in, if you check Secret London you'll find something nearby that will make your trip a unique one.

Are there any I've missed? What do you recommend I check out?

No comments: