Tuesday 21 November 2017

What happens if I skip breakfast?

If I don't look like thisin a month I'll give up and go full-on 'Mr Creosote.'


We all know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Right? I certainly struggle without it. Or do I? Sometimes, on my days off work, I get up and go to the gym on an empty stomach. I do okay, and eat when I get home.

But on a standard work day, the idea of not having breakfast horrifies me. It sounds like a lot of hard work. But a few weeks ago I came across an advert on Youtube that changed my mind. As it was an advert I can't actually link to it, but it was a video from the very knowledgeable Thomas DeLauer. In it he discussed how, when we are asleep, our bodies are breaking down the food in our stomachs. When we wake up, our bodies go into fat-burning mode, and that's when we start to lose weight- unless, of course, you dump a load of breakfast food on top of it. Then your body goes straight back to burning the carbs in your stomach.

If we 'break our fast' in the early afternoon, we'll burn off reserve fat for hours beforehand while we go about our morning.

DeLauer explains a lot more than I ever could, so check him out. What I'll be doing is skipping breakfast for the next month, and actually 'breaking my fast' at 12:30.

I currently weigh 83.3kg. I'd like to be 10kg down from that please. I'd also like to beat a few PBs in the gym. Let's see how that goes.

No comments: