Tuesday 7 November 2017

I Pulled an all-nighter to go to a car boot sale



Like any normal person, I went out on Saturday night, watched the boxing and UFC (I found a seat where I could watch both on 2 screens side by side in Genting), then drove out to Bowlers Exhibition Centre for their weekly car boot sale. A friend of mine, an avid retro game collector, had raved about it, so I thought I'd go take a look and see what books they had. At quarter past 6 on a rainy Sunday morning, in the pitch black autumn night, I joined a hideously long car queue. I was parked by 7.

Despite the venue's title, I wasn't bowled over- the cooked breakfast served from a canteen was a bit crap, the stalls were largely selling tat, signs were full of grammar errors and the few books on sale were obscure releases I'd never heard of, except for Jamie's 15-Minute Meals, a recipe book I've been meaning to try for a while. Although The Hairy Dieter's Cookbook is a good start for people learning to cook, there's no description of the likely time it would take to complete the recipe. As an impatient and hungry bloke, knowing that 15 minutes is the average time I'll actually be cooking is a weight off my mind. I'll Jamie's book soon and detail how easy / hard it is to follow in a #psychologysaturday post.

So, the car boot sale at Bowlers is done and dusted.

No comments: