Sunday 17 September 2017

Viper launch, ice cave, Todd Terry, Stopout Saturdays

A jumble of interesting finds this week.

Thursday night saw the launch of Viper, a new mobile phone app promoting nightlife deals in Manchester, and is 'designed to upgrade your night & put the best bars within reach.' As a winner of one of their competitions a few months ago, I got invited to Neighbourhood.



I must have been there either too early or too late, as I didn't see any of these people, and I would have liked to. Still, a good night.



Because we were stood in an area the staff needed to use, we got an upgrade before any of us had downloaded the app- they move us to our own table! Respect! Lovely staff and venue.

Looking forward to seeing a few nightlife deals on the app over the next few months.

Saturday daytime I dropped into the #icecaverave in Albert Square, home of the new Coors Light installation. A temporary nightclub / human freezer sits right under the town hall, with a drinks stall outside for waiting customers. I rolled up thinking my mate was DJing- it turned out I was a full week early. Oh well. I was given a coloured wristband with a timeslot, and waited for my colour to be shouted out. In the meantime a gay knock-off chubby Chris Hemsworth lookalike repeatedly hit on me. Oh well. Eventually my colour was read out, I queued up and was given a quilted poncho and sent into the coldest club I have ever been in.

Ice sculptures adorn the bar, which you'd have to use elbow grease to get to, but if it wasn't so busy you'd be too cold. Even so, a lively two-step is not just an impulse to the great house music- it's a survival requirement.





A post shared by Matt Tuckey (@matttuckey) on

A post shared by Matt Tuckey (@matttuckey) on

The #icecaverave runs 'til Sunday 24th.

Later that night I dropped into the new refitted Birdcage for Stopout Saturdays, with Manchester Cool Bars. The club's first night after a recent refit, Stopout had been promising Love Island's Jamie Jewitt making an appearance, but he's been stalled 'til next week (there'll be another meetup).

Although quite different to what I'd normally do on a weekend, The Birdcage was a fun night with a young, good-looking clientele. No drag shows this time, (to my relief I might add) but the new booths, wallpaper and VIP glass partition (which we could seemingly wander between unrestrictedly) look much better. It isn't a whole lot different, mind- the club has the same layout and same Capital Radio-style music output.

And on Twitter: DJ Todd Terry (It's Over Love, Jumpin', Something's Goin' On) thinks I'm going to step between a baboon and a badger, and win. I'd pass on that, thanks!



Also, I got a retweet off Calum Best, currently on Celebs Go Dating.

That is your lot! Hardly a dull week.

No comments: