Saturday 15 July 2017

Well- I've done it. I've told O2 to do one.



I've told extortionists O2 that I've got a phone and I'm ending my contract. It's not exactly true.

My contract will end on the 28th, and I STILL have no replacement phone, but I've at least homed in on a few handsets- the Xperia XA Ultra, the Xperia C4 and the Samsung Galaxy J7.

The cameras are hugely important when you have memory difficulties. Pictures hold memories that you otherwise wouldn't have, and when a lot of your life's most interesting moments happen in darkened clubs, it's necessary to have a decent light on front and back cameras. It turns out that the light I've seen pour out of Android and iPhone screens are actually downloadable apps that light up the display in white. This changes everything.

Generally speaking, most advisers with knowledge of memory difficulties (i.e. NHS neuropsychology and head injury charity Headway) will tell you to stick with what you know. Before I got this ridiculous Windows phone, I'd been on Android for four and a half years. Making that change was an impulsive mistake, and I believe that it's now vitally important to go back to Android, where I had comparatively few problems.

It's taking way too long to choose. I'm reminded of Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography Total Recall, where he advises acting impulsively to move forward in your life.

Don’t overthink. If you think all the time, the mind cannot relax. The key thing is to let both the mind and the body float. And then when you need to make a decision or hit a problem hard, you’re ready with all of your energy.

By not analyzing everything, you get rid of all the garbage that loads you up and bogs you down. Turning off your mind is an art. It’s a form of meditation.

That said, I acted impulsively 2 years ago and ended up with a phone and contract that I was locked into that was completely inappropriate, and cost me a friendship with the person who worked at Carphone Warehouse. So, nothing's black and white.

However, the Ultra was a handset I picked out some weeks ago. After deliberation and looking at loads of other phones, it's still one of the best options. And considering I've been advised to stick to what I know, I may as well go for the Ultra.

Don't overthink!

No comments: