Monday 31 October 2016

Come to New Spinningfields Bar Menagerie



Only kings, presidents, editors and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.”
-Mark Twain, US author and humourist

Twain missed one out- people who hammer Meetup to stay social also have that right as far as I'm concerned. He died 106 years ago though, so I'll let him off.

Has anyone noticed a flurry of motivational meetup groups emerging over the last couple of weeks? Lead, Gain Influence Achieve your Goals led the pack. Following this was Get it Done, Shape your Destiny, Dare to Dream in Manchester, Manchester Self Improvement Meetup, Manchester Self Esteem Enhancement Meetup, Conscious Integration Meetup... and you're guaranteed to see more over the next year. Meetup is getting huge.

I might try a few of them- I hope they're genuinely helpful. I find a lot of these things tend not to be, though, and I've come away from motivational meetups usually not feeling any more motivated or enlightened than I was before I walked through the door. There have been charlatans before Meetup; there still will be as it grows. Certainly leave a comment if you've been to any of these and tell us how it was for you.

Away from motivational groups, Manchester House and Techno Meetup is possibly the group I was looking for years ago before RnB became as popular as it is. I've not joined a new Meetup group in ages as Manchester Cool Bars has been great for me, and the friends I met though another group (that we were all collectively booted out of) I tend to meet up with away from Meetup, but I might give this one a shot. Likewise, Clubbers and Ravers: Nightowls sounds equally tempting. (That said, I just joined and saw that the organiser is the same person that booted loads of us out of his other aforementioned group. This was because said organiser didn't get invited to a party one of us threw. Let's not go there.)

Meetup is getting huge- new groups are opening every day in a number of different niches. They aren't all just 'going out' groups and motivation groups- I don't tend to promote the more random ones but it's worth a look on the site as Hoop Classes, for instance, might be your thing. The range of groups in Manchester alone is broadening exponentially as are the opportunities to do the things you want to do and meet the people you want to meet.

The best one, of course, is Manchester Cool Bars and Clubs. And while we're on this subject, how are you fixed for Thursday? We're out in town! We're starting in new Spinningfields bar Menagerie and heading on to Socialite at LIV. Menagerie, right at the back of Spinningfields near the River Irwell, marries the zoological to the intoxicating. Stage performances, cocktails and animal-themed décor all coalesce to make a unique drinking experience. Come take a look for yourself from 9pm.

I already have more for next week. You'll have to wait...

No comments: