Sunday 12 April 2015

Why I Unfollow



The prompt from Day 10 of NaPoWriMo is an abecedarian poem, a poem with a structure derived from the alphabet. I chose to start each line of my poem with the subsequent letter, hence constructing a 26-line poem. The theme is unfollowing- but not unfriending- people on Facebook, something I've been meaning to write about for some time.

Although I like you,
Boring statuses bring me down.
Corny “life advice” posts,
Dodgy videos or dull updates
Exacerbate my discomfort.
For too long, I've been seeing your
Garish brags and tedious accounts.
However, I don't want a fallout.
I don't want you to think I don't like you.
Just please don't take offence.
Kicking you out of my friends list
Like a lecherous leper,
Might feel brutal, besides,
Next week I could bump into you on the street. Awk!
On the other hand, only I will know if I
Pick the “unfollow” setting.
Quick solution to too much information.
Rather than removing,
Stay “friends”, only not.
The University of Oxford Professor Dunbar explains
Under 150 connections is an acceptable real-life amount.
Very simple life will be this way.
When will Facebook ever count your remaining followings?
Yet although I unfollow people I actually know, my newsfeed
Zigzags between people already in my life, and those I wish were.