Sunday 20 April 2014

What am I doing tonight? I don't even know.

Strange bank holiday weekend. Ups and downs. Fighting off insomnia without becoming hooked on Zopiclone: a balancing act.

Got free entry to Sankeys nightclub in Manchester last night. Found a deal online. I'd not been since '04, when I saw Arman Van Helden play. Last night's beats were courtesy resident DJ Krysko, whose name I've heard dropped on Radio 1.


When Manchester is largely dying on its arse from half a decade of recession, Sankeys is still packing out. Way over capacity, the club had no room to dance- not that many people wanted to do that anyway. Rather than being a down-and-dirty dance music club, the venue is now full of stillettoed dolly birds and pumped-up gym nuts who've probably never thrown a punch in their lives. And the line for the toilets was as long and as disparate as the queue for aid packages in Syria.


I'll stick with Warehouse Project and Albert Hall for club nights, the latter of which I was supposed to be going to tonight. That has fallen through though...

On a separate note, I've got back into combat sports this year. I'm training with Oldham Boxing Centre at Victoria House. I'm getting my cardio fitness back gradually, and my hand and head movement is sharpening with each session. The tuition is spot on.

It's when I use a weights gym that I notice the only downside: my actual strength has dropped a lot. I can't do anywhere near as many chin-ups or push anything like my bench press record. So I'll skip cardio at the weights gym from now on and focus on weights- all the cardio I'll need I'll get from boxing anyway.

So does anyone from Manchester want to go out right now? Hit me up...

No comments: