Monday 22 July 2013

Manchester Comic Con


I hit Manchester Comic Con on Saturday with Tom. The event, held at Manchester G-Mex- sorry, Manchester Central, was a celebration of comics, movies and video games. The serious fans are mostly in their late teens who spend all their part-time wages on their costumes, which- despite being good quality- can only be identified by a handful of in-the-know comic geeks.

radio-muffled voice “What are you doing, sir? Get down. Hands above your head.”


And the highlight of the event? The DeLorean.


The guy playing Doc was incredibly stressed out and avoided getting his picture taken. My guess was that he was a bitter petrolhead, a DeLorean enthusiast paid to look after the car on the day, and paid to look like an ageing scientist, who was annoyed that such a fascinating car - and company-  is only known by most people due to the exposure from the Back to the Future franchise.

I was hoping there would be a few Aliens Vs Predator graphic novels to pick up, or something similar, but most of the lit wasn't to my taste. I did, however, manage to pick up a few souveniers:


Although a good experience, it was- expectedly- an incredibly nerdy event populated largely by people dressed as comic characters that I didn't recognise. “Celebs” in attendence were so niche that I didn't recognise their names or their faces.

It was no San Diego Comic Con in terms of cultural, recognizeable icons. Or at least I thought: I didn't spot Warwick Davies from Willow and Star Wars who was in attendance.
A good laugh though.

No comments: