Sunday 23 June 2013

Three Strikes: Week 30

I realise how sad this is, but you know what my biggest achievement is this week? I got 65 likes on a comment on a picture on Facebook.



Also, on a more serious note, I was part of a public-led social media campaign to bring an abusive husband to justice. Last week Advertising magnate Charles Saatchi was photographed gripping hiswife Nigella Lawson by the throat in a public restaurant. She reportedly- and rightfully- wants a divorce.

Lawson is more than a celebrity chef- she's a role model for women everywhere. She's well aware that if she goes back to Saatchi, her career will be ruined. She'll also be delivering the message that it's okay to put up with an abusive partner. If she splits, she'll be a stronger role model than ever.

This tweet got more retweets than I've ever had- more than any joke or general observation. I'm cautious about mentioning this as I don't want to be seen in revelling in someone elses misery. Domestic abuse is a huge problem in the UK, with an incident of this nature being reported to the police every minute of every day.

Sharing information and allowing people to know what's happening in the world is something that I'm becoming increasingly passionate about, so I'm glad I could be part of the online tidal wave that is currently exposing Saatchi's behaviour. And if it helps address the issue on a larger scale, I'm glad I could do that too. Twitter and Facebook quickly caught up with Saatchi on the day, quickly leaving him with no-where to hide.

Gym:
Bicep curl: up 1 notch
Chest press with horizontal grip: up 1 notch. I'm now lifting as much as I was before I moved out in 2010.

No comments: