Saturday 23 February 2013

Minestrone Soup Broke my Brain






Well, it was only a matter of time before The Hairy Dieters offered up a “complicated” recipe. The problem I found with this dish was the sheer volume of different ingredients- and steps in the process- required to make the soup. My kitchen just doesn't accommodate that volume of food! And my brain doesn't accommodate all that information!


The process of preparing for this soup took AGES. I cut the tomatoes and dunked them in boiling water to slip off the skin, but I didn't leave them in the water long enough. THD says cook it all in a saucepan. A big fuck-off wok was more appropriate. I don't know whether I got the water levels wrong, but it came out thick: more like stew than soup. But I've got to be honest: It tasted better than I thought it was going to. And at least I've got something to eat for the next few days.



Having said that, the process was no more complicated than some of the other recipes I've cooked. I think when I looked at the ingredients list and the recipe, I thought, fuck, this looks hard. But it actually isn't that taxing to do. It just takes time. I'm learning to cook in order to seek out these revelations. I don't want to be able to just say, “I learned to make Minestrone.” I want to be able to say, “I didn't think I'd be able to make Minestrone, but I did anyway. And it came out good.” And if I can achieve that with Minestrone, I can do it with anything else, right?

No comments: