Thursday 5 July 2012

Captain Culley and the Active




A month ago I mentioned that one of my ancestors, Charles Culley, died when his boat, The Active, sank off Granton Harbour in Edinburgh in 1901.

My dad has been researching our family tree for some years now and has uploaded some impressive findings to his website. He has collected together an abundance of information about the man and the incident, from archive photographs to official documents. If you like your history, you'll find this fascinating. Even if you're not particularly passionate about past occurences, you'll be surprised by the events that unfolded that night.

You'll notice that one of the files is a sound recording I made when I interviewed my granddad for a college project. He recounted the incident as he'd been told it. Find it on the site or, for more control, listen on Soundcloud.


My dad also mentioned that our surname- Tuckey- has a few incredible stories behind it. Stay tuned for my favourite- a story that I only got to the bottom of last week.

No comments: