Tuesday 3 July 2012

The Angel's Share


One thing I forgot to mention in the Scotland blog post a few weeks ago is that the Cragganmore distillery, which I visited, was recently the location of a film shoot. The Angel's Share, directed by Ken Loach, is out now.


One part of the distilling process is called “the angel's share”, as the Cragganmore tour guides mentioned. They explained it very well, as does Wisegeek. Both explain it better than I could.

Over at Ballatine's distillery in Dumbarton, the “angels” that- legend has it- guard over the distilleries would occasionally share their security responsibilities with other flying beings. Ballatine's kept a gaggle of geese on their premises, and these “guard geese”- also known as the “Scotch Watch”- would make a racket if anyone approached the 'still, day or night. More recently, these geese have had to spread their wings and fly. Ballatines are using moretraditional methods of security these days. 

Having added to my own whisky collection recently, I've now got a fair hefty amount of the stuff myself. I'm not sure, though, that the neighbours would appreciate being chased away from their own door by an irate, squawking avian security guard. But it would be pretty cool. I hope the angels are watching over me- and my stash...

No comments: