Saturday 17 March 2012

Boxing and Batman


Vicki Vale: A lot of people think you're as dangerous as the Joker.  
Batman: He's psychotic.  
Vicki Vale: Some people say the same thing about you.  
Batman: What people?  
Vicki Vale: Well, I mean, let's face it. You're not exactly normal, are you?  
Batman: It's not exactly a normal world, is it?

-Journalist Vicki (Kim Basinger) grills Batman (Michael Keaton) in Tim Burton's '89 classic superhero movie

On Monday 12th I sparred for the first time in about a year and a half. I got to a boxing class at Manchester Ground'N'Pound, a martial arts academy On Newton Street in the Northern Quarter. It's a session for everyone, regardless of size, experience or background. Good instruction and a good group of people.

I surprised myself with how much technique I'd remembered, although doing padwork with fingerless gloves is not recommended. I'll be back there trying a few different classes throught the next few weeks.

And after that... well, it was Monday, wasn't it? Flashback day! I hit the Odean for Tim Burton's Batman. I'd not seen this film for tiiiiiiiiiiime. It's a great interpretation of a classic gothic comic book tale. Again, I followed the film much better than I did the last time I saw it. This can only mean one thing- my memory is getting (marginally) better! Highlight: Jack Nicholson's Joker (“the world's first fully functioning homicidal artist”, as he calls himself). Hilarious. Still.



I'll be back at Ground'N'Pound for more martial arts over the next few weeks. I won't be back at the Odeon for Dirty Dancing on the 19th, being a self-respecting hetrosexual, but I will be back for Heat on the 26th and Sean of the Dead on the 2nd April.

No comments: