Thursday 7 April 2011

Ten Awesome Quotes on Writing





The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~Anaïs Nin

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. ~E.L. Doctorow

I try to leave out the parts that people skip. ~Elmore Leonard
(Really Mr. Leonard? Why, then, did you write “Be Cool”?)

A writer is someone who can make a riddle out of an answer. ~Karl Kraus

I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork. ~Peter De Vries

Do not put statements in the negative form.
And don't start sentences with a conjunction.
If you reread your work, you will find on rereading that a
great deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.
Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.
Unqualified superlatives are the worst of all.
De-accession euphemisms.
If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a linking verb is.
Avoid trendy locutions that sound flaky.
Last, but not least, avoid cliches like the plague.
~William Safire, "Great Rules of Writing"

If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

If you want to get rich from writing, write the sort of thing that's read by persons who move their lips when they're reading to themselves. ~Don Marquis

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live. ~Henry David Thoreau, Journal, 19 August 1851

Without a pen I feel naked, but it's writing that is my exhibitionism. ~Carrie Latet

No comments: